Thursday, July 19, 2012

Inquiry 3: 8th Resource

Virender Kumar, et al. "Successful Intervention In A Child With Toxic Methemoglobinemia Due To Nail Polish Remover Poisoning." Indian Journal Of Occupational & Environmental Medicine 15.3 (2011): 137-138. Academic Search Complete. Web. 19 July 2012.


This academic journal is extremely short, but to the point. It contains a lot scientific names of chemicals and things that have to do with the human body for the medical field. The main thing I got out of this journal is a real life story about a young child who ingested nail polish remover with lethal methemoglobinemia. The child only ingested a small amount of nail polish, but it still almost took his life. "After admission, the child was kept under observation 
and we observed that gradually he became cyanosed, restless, and more lethargic" (Virender Kumar, et al). As the journal goes on it just talks about the state of the boy until he gets better. I want to use this to show what exactly a household chemical can do to a young child so quickly and what kind they might experience while trying to recover from the incident, if they even survive. The journal states, "Sudden death is possible in some nail polish poisoning cases" (Virender Kumar, et al). The journal gives a summary, tell what happened, then discusses the situation. When they discuss the situation they say that children who come into contact with methemoglobinemia and react negatively to it will be a lavender color. They also say that a clue that a child has cyanide toxicity are vomiting, lethargy,  seizures, and  lack of normal venous blood hemoglobin desaturation. The most interesting things I found in this journal is that "Health care providers should not confuse the potentially highly toxic acetonitrile-containing cosmetics, particularly falsefingernail removers, with less-toxic acetone-containing fingernail-polish removers. [5] This potential confusion between acetone and acetonitrile poisoning is compounded by the initial similarity of their early features, including vomiting, lethargy, slurred speech, ataxia, stupor, coma, and respiratory depression" (Virender Kumar, et al). I found that this was the most interesting thing because for parents, knowing that health care professionals may not even know what it is that is affecting their children is scary. Most parents would freak out on a doctor if they thought one thing was the cause of their children's suffering when in fact, it was something else. Overall, for a short academic journal, I think it has given me a few good quotes and taught me a few good things for me to write a paragraph or two about how children are exposed to cosmetics and a real life situation that can happen to anyone with young children.


I think for the organization of my essay I would like to write two paragraphs for each specific example that I present. I am not sure exactly how I am going to break these examples up into two paragraphs each yet because I will have to take a look at all the information I have for each. I may have to do a little more research so that for each example I can have the same type of information in the two paragraphs provided. For example, I could do a real life situation for how a child was affected and then in the next paragraph I can talk about other possible things that can happen to exposed children.

No comments:

Post a Comment